Want to move to New Zealand to work in dairy farming?

Man talking in a farm vehicle

International employees need a visa to work on a New Zealand dairy farm.

Find out current rules and requirements on the Immigration New Zealand website.

dairy worker on a motorbike

Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

Want to combine work with travel?

You may be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa (WHV).


  • The WHV is open to 18-to-30-year-olds (18 to 35 for a few countries).
  • The WHV lets you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months.
  • Its duration extends to 23 months if you’re from Canada and 36 months if you’re from the UK.
  • You can either find a job before you come to NZ or after you arrive.
  • The WHV isn’t available to citizens of all countries and applicant numbers are capped.
dairy worker on a motorbike
dairy farmer with working dog

Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV)

Is your main reason for coming to New Zealand to work?

Most international employees working on New Zealand dairy farms are on an Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV).


  • Before you arrive in New Zealand, you’ll need an offer of employment from a New Zealand Accredited Employer farmer and apply for a Work Visa through Immigration New Zealand.
  • New Zealand has strict criteria for entry. To work on a dairy farm, you’ll need either relevant experience or recognised qualifications. You’ll also need to meet English language, police and health requirements.
  • The length of your visa will depend on your skills and experience.

Get the lowdown on working in dairy.

Searching for a new career? Find what you need to know here.

About DairyNZ

DairyNZ is an industry-good organisation that helps farmers lead the world in sustainable dairying by investing in research, new solutions and advocacy.